If you watch ABC’s “Shark Tank,” then you are likely familiar with Robert Herjavec. Born in eastern Europe, Herjavec and his family immigrated to Canada when he was a boy to escape communism in the former Yugoslavia (now Croatia). The son of a factory worker, Herjavec emerged from humble beginnings to build and sell several companies in the IT industry. Today, his company, Herjavec Group, is recognized as a global leader in information security services.
Like many small-business owners, Herjavec started with very little — and he didn’t have a business degree. But his is a success story that proves that determination, hard work and commitment pay off in the end. Now, besides running Herjavec Group, he helps small-business entrepreneurs and start-ups take their businesses to the next level on “Shark Tank.”
It’s no wonder, then, that entrepreneurs and small-business owners are interested in what they can learn from Herjavec. Recently, Entrepreneur sat down with him and asked for his top five small-business marketing tips:
- Target your customers on social media.
- Make selling online a key part of your business model.
- Make your website and marketing materials visually appealing.
- Market to your customers in ways they are receptive to.
- As your business grows, hire marketing assistance.